Strawberry Shortcake is a perfect summer dessert.
- 40 min
- 8 servings
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 Tbsp baking powder
• 4 Tbsp cane sugar, divided
• 4 Tbsp cold Organic Valley butter, cubed
• 2/3 cup Organic Valley half & half
• 1 Organic Valley large brown egg, lightly beaten
• 1/8 tsp sea salt
• 4 cups fresh strawberries, stems removed and cut into quarters
• 1 cup Organic Valley heavy whipping cream, whipped
• fresh mint for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C) and lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, and 2 Tbsp sugar into a bowl.
3. Add butter, using fingers to work it quickly into the flour until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
4. Mix half & half with the egg and salt, and add this to the flour mixture. Stir with a
fork until the dough just comes together.
5. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until it’s smooth, but don’t overwork the dough. Roll out the dough to approximately 1/2” thick. Using a floured 2.5” or 3” cookie cutter, cut out 6 rounds. Gather the scraps, roll again and cut 2 more rounds.
6. Put the 8 rounds on the baking sheet. Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes
or until the biscuits are golden brown and firm to the touch.
7. For the topping, mix berries and remaining sugar together in a bowl and chill.
8. Cool the biscuits on a rack. Cut each biscuit in half and heap the bottom pieces with the chilled strawberries and whipped cream. Place top pieces and serve immediately with remaining whipped cream on the side. Garnish with fresh mint and enjoy.